On September 20, 2008, several Tocqueville’s inhabitants met to discuss the possible creation of an association to save their church.
A few months later, the statutes of the Alexis de Tocqueville Association for Saving Tocqueville’s Church, according to the 1901 french law, were drafted during the first General Assembly on April 18, 2009.
The purpose of the Association is to raise public and private funds to help the municipality renovate the church. These funds come from membership fees, receipts from various events and mainly donations. The Association and the Municipality of Tocqueville have established a partnership with the “Fondation du Patrimoine”.
Since 2009, several events have given us friendly and financial endorsers.
Each year, the Association schedules new events, including a book fair on July 14 and a hike across the Tocqueville village, usually on the last Saturday in July, with anecdotes about the village and its most famous inhabitant.
The Association is governed by a 12-members Board of Directors which is renewed by a third each year at the General Assembly, usually held around April-May. It takes place in Tocqueville’s city hall.
The Board of Directors names a management team which includes : a president, a vice-president, a secretary, a treasurer, an assistant treasurer, and two members.